Create a Healthier World
Celebrate the 11th Annual World School Milk Day (WSMD) on Wednesday, September 29!
What is it? An international, annual event that celebrates the importance of school milk in children’s diets. The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations actively supports and promotes it.
Who celebrates? Countries throughout the world! In the past, over 40
countries representing every continent celebrated, including Germany, India, Argentina, Australia, Canada, Ethiopia, China, Iceland, Finland, Croatia, Indonesia and Oman.
Why celebrate World School Milk Day? It’s a way to focus on helping children make healthy beverage choices and to bring our world closer
together, thereby raising children’s global awareness.
What’s more, both flavored and white milk provide calcium and eight other essential nutrients that growing children need. Research shows that children who drink milk at school are more likely to meet their daily nutrient needs.
Milk provides three of the five nutrients the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recognize as being low in children’s diets – calcium, magnesium and potassium.
How do other countries celebrate? Celebrations are unique to each country and involve children in a variety of ways. In previous years:
- Children from across Australia entered a creative drawing, writing and photography contest. Winning entries were displayed at the Royal Melbourne Show and on Australia’s Discover Dairy Web site.
- State-wide School Milk Clubs were launched in various schools in Gujarat, India. Eighty schools also participated in a “Milky Way to a Stronger Nation” painting competition. The best three entries received prizes from this His Holy Highness, Lalji Maharaaj Shree Nrigendraprasadji.
- Over 6,000 children in China participated in an online nutrition competition that had 15 percent of the questions related to milk.
- Two daylong dairy carnivals in Lahore and Karachi, Pakistanused fun-filled activities that highlighted the benefits of drinking milk to launch a School Milk Ambassador Program.
- In Zagreb, Croatia, children gathered in the main square to celebrate milk with pictures, songs, and milk and dairy foods tastings.
- Milk was distributed to over 3,600 children in Oman.
Filed under: Childhood Obesity, Dairy, family, lunch, Nutrition, School, School Food Service | Tagged: American Dairy Association of Indiana, Dairy, Dietitian, healthy, milk, Winners Drink Milk | Leave a comment »