Sure! There is POPCORN in Indiana!
- Did you know that Indiana ranks second in popcorn growing!
- Did you know January 19, 2012 was National Popcorn day? Popcorn Indiana did the day up right this year!
- Did you even know there was a Popcorn Indiana? Not familiar with Popcorn Indiana? They located just south-west of Bloomington.
- Did you know that the Weaver Popcorn Company, based in Van Buren, Indiana, is one of the largest popcorn companies in the United States. Founded in 1928 by Ira E. Weaver, whose family still controls the company, it develops, grows, processes, packages, and ships a variety of popcorn products for sale around the world. Its customers include store chains around the world, as well as concessionaires, and international popcorn distributors.
Things to do with Popcorn:
Here are some great ways to use popcorn for the super bowl:
- Make your own popcorn– for the microwave
- Make your very own Cracker Jack—you get to add the PRIZE!
- Make Peanut Butter Popcorn Balls or Marshmallow Popcorn Balls. My favorite popcorn ball is really small popcorn balls and then chocolate dip, sprinkle with nuts or sprinkles and voilà: Mini popcorn truffles 🙂
Nutrition Fun with Popcorn:
Popcorn is on the list of whole-grain foods included in the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Dietary Guidelines for Americans. It is fourth on the list of most commonly consumed grains in the United States, after whole wheat, whole oats and whole-grain corn. That makes it a significant contributor to the grain and fiber intake of the average American. At least half of the six daily servings of grains recommended in the dietary guidelines should come from whole grains. According to a study published in the May 2008 issue of the “Journal of the American Dietetic Association,” popcorn eaters consume more than twice as many whole grains and more than 22 percent more fiber than people who don’t eat popcorn. Learn more.
During the Super Bowl there are at least 46 ways to enjoy popcorn. What is your favorite way? Psst… Check out our upcoming Twitter Party to get ready for the Super Bowl and a healthy new year!