A New Year, a new start, a clean slate. Time to start the year over. This is when we say that we are going to live a perfect life – finally become that wonderful, productive, healthy, happy person we’ve always wanted to be. The trouble is, the enthusiasm to make changes, especially with exercise and diet, tends to fade once we realize we can’t change everything overnight. If you want to make lasting changes, there are three things you can do to make your resolutions work all year long: Adjust your attitude, change your lifestyle and come up with a plan for success.
Adjust Your Attitude
· If any of these sound familiar, how long do you think you’ll stick with your program? Nobody wants to do something painful, boring or obligatory. Before you throw yourself into weight loss,check out your attitudes about exercise and figure out whether these attitudes are true or just lies you’ve been telling yourself for years. Then look at all the god exercise can bring:
· A way to boost energy and mood
· The only time you’ll have to yourself all day
· A chance to get totally physical and let your mind rest
· A chance to reward your body for working so hard
· A way to improve your quality of life immediately
Remember long-term success requires planning, discipline and finding ways to motivate yourself every day. Motivation will not magically happen. What motivates you will change from day-to-day. You have to recommit to your goals each day, tweak them to fit changes in your lifestyle and attitude and find new ways to motivate yourself over the course of your life.
Believe me you will not always want to exercise and eat healthy. Even the most committed exerciser doesn’t always want to hit the gym. Know that you will have to work on it every day. Last but not least diets don’t work. Stop wasting your time following someone else’s plan for you. Make your own plan based on realistic changes–if you can’t follow your chosen diet for the rest of your life, you’re wasting precious time.
And yes you CAN do it!